Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fast Feet Without Shoes: Cross Country Runner Runs Barefooted

Mari Jean Wegert is a Junior runner on the Grace College Women's Cross Country and Track teams. She advanced to the NAIA Nationals in the 800 as a freshman, and her 3,200-meter relay team qualified to nationals during the indoor season last year. This is nothing out of the ordinary for top notch runners. There is one exception. She is doing it barefooted.

"I don't know how to put into words why it's so much more fun," Wegert said of running barefooted. "I remember feeling miserable (with shoes). It felt a lot lighter without shoes. I like to be different -- it's fun to have a way to run that nobody else does," Wegert continued. As a Cross Country runner, Wegert advanced to the NAIA nationals and she finished 13th at the Christian college nationals meet as a Sophomore.

When she came to Grace College, a small NAIA school in Winnona Lake, Indiana, Wegert had no plans to participate in intercollegiate athletics. "When I first came to college, I wasn't an athlete. I like poetry and music and didn't like the athlete stereotype. It gives me a way to not totally fit into the mold of a jock. I can run faster and be more competitive," Wegert said. Wegert's goal is to run under 18 minutes in Cross Country and 2:09 in the 800.

Wegert didn't start running competitively until her Senior year in high school, at the request of the coach. She ended up being part of a 3200 meter relay team that qualified for the Regionals. Grace Cross and Country and Track Coach Neal Butler didn't discourage Wegert from running barefooted. At a meet in Indianapolis, Wegert complained to Coach Butler that she wanted to run barefooted. Butler asked the meet officials and they said it was OK. Wegert made it to the Finals and finished in seventh place. "I started too fast but it was so much fun, and I've run about every race since without shoes," Wegert said.

Marijean Wegert does have to be very careful to take care of her feet. "I have to run carefully and watch where I'm running," Wegert said. "The track does tear up your feet, and I'll limp around after a race. It wasn't too bad after a while, and I have a couple layers of callouses on my feet (now). Wegert also said that it was a gradual experience building up callouses and endurance. She says that form is important and that running barefooted actually helps her form.

An English major from Elmore, OH, Wegert is having a great time at Grace College. She's enjoying the academic, social and athletic atmosphere of college life: "I always looked forward to college," Wegert said. "Everybody learning together and eating together. That attracted me. I love having a deep discussion or talking about literature with friends after class. It's a good environment to learn, have fun with friends and find ways to be creative."I really enjoy the team, coach and the whole competitive aspect."

to me, Marijean Wegert is one of the toughest athletes around. To be able to run barefoot at a high level on the track or through the woods takes guts. Some days the asphalt or concrete is very hot. When running through the woods in a Cross Country meet or in practice, she steps on sharp twigs or rocks, yet that doesn't deter her from having fast fet without shoes. Marijean Wegert is one tough student-athlete. Information for this article was gathered from the NAIA's official website http://www.naia.org/ and from the News Messenger out of Fremont, OH and their Staff Writer Matthew Horn.

No comments:

Post a Comment