Thursday, August 20, 2009

Be Sure Your Sins Will Find You Out: Memphis Forfeits 2007-08 Season

When I was a young boy, I had the privilege of growing up in a Christian home and attending Christian schools. One thing I learned from my parents and teachers is that consequences, sooner or later, will follow wrong doing. "Be sure your sins will find you out" was a statement I heard. Apparently, John Calipari and Derrick Rhodes didn't take seriously that dire warning.

Yesterday, the NCAA informed the University of Memphis that the Mens Basketball Team would have to forfeit all 38 games including their Final Four appearance because one of their players, starting point guard Derrick Rose, had a fraudulent score on the SAT. The Mens Basketball Program will also be put on probation for 3 years. I wrote an article about this a few months ago. John Calipari had left the Tigers to go to "bluer" pastures at Kentucky. I warned Kentucky that the Wildcats might be making a big mistake. It turns out that "might" may be looking more like "is" or "are", depending on your grammar.

Derrick Rose is now making millions as the starting point guard for the Chicago Bulls, and, as mentioned earlier, John Calipari is now at Kentucky. This is the second time that one of Calipari's Final Four teams will have their Final Four appearance stricken from the record. The first one was back in 1996 when Calipari's UMASS Minutemen reached the Final Four and lost to Kentucky, the eventual national champion. Massachusetts was assessed this penalty because former Minutemen Center Marcus Cambi was given financial gifts, which is obviously and NCAA violation.

Some people just don't get it. They will never get it. John Calipari is apparently one of these people. The University of Memphis says they will appeal the NCAA's decision. My suggestion to Memphis is this: since both Rose and Calipari are making millions of dollars with their respective employers, the university should go after them via law suits. Right now, they are both off the hook since they aren't at Memphis anymore. They both have caused embarrassment and shame to U of M and the city of Memphis. I'm wondering if a defamation law suit is possible. I find Calipari more culpable since this is the second time this has happened on his watch. The chances of Memphis winning an appeal of the NCAA's edict is slim to none, but the university might be able to save face by going after Calipari and Rose in a law suit. That's my opinion and I welcome yours.

1 comment:

  1. I think you mean Derrick "Rose." I think that Kentucky is sweating blood right now hoping that the same things don't happen in Wildcat nation. If I were Kentucky, I would amend the contract with Calipari to include that if something like that happens while he is with Kentucky, Calipari will be held responsible.

    ReplyDelete