Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Big Boys Without Big Names

Last Sunday, the participants in the BCS were announced. I was hoping that TCU and Boise St. would each play one of the "Big Name" teams from the BCS conferences. I was disappointed to find out that they would be playing each other. I thought that neither school would get the credibility and respect they so richly deserve. I wanted to see if they could beat an Iowa, GA. Tech or Florida. We will never know.

However, perhaps we are too hung up on the "name". Perhaps the Horn Frogs and Broncos ARE the Big Boys. They are both undefeated and both teams ran through their conference foes like a knife through butter. Also, they both beat quality BCS teams. TCU defeated Clemson, who almost knocked off Georgia Tech in the ACC Championship , and Boise St. beat Oregon, the PAC-10 Champs who will be playing Ohio St. in the Rose Bowl. TCU and Boise St. are Big Boy teams without Big Boy names. I honestly think TCU would give Alabama stiff competition if the two teams were playing for the National Championship. Boise St. would probably beat Iowa and go toe to toe with the likes of Alabama, Florida and Texas.

So when you watch the Fiesta Bowl and you see two non-BCS schools playing against each other, remember that they are big boy teams without big boy names. As one blogger put it, it is the "other national championship game". I will watch it, as I will watch as many of the other bowl games as I can. It should be a great game!

No comments:

Post a Comment