Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Love The Blue Turf

One of the many great traditions of college football will begin again this Thursday Night as Boisie St. hosts Oregon on the blue turf. The Broncos are an exciting team to watch. They have toppled traditional powers like Oklahoma. Last year, they upset Oregon in Eugene.

The best thing about watching Boisie St. Football is that blue artificial turf. It's different, obviously, as all other high school, college and pro teams play on something green. It comes through nicely on my LCD 32 inch TV. I wonder if Tennessee would ever think of going to an orange turf. Boy would that be interesting to see.

Boisie St. had the longest home winning streak in the nation until Boston College upset them in the Humanitarian Bowl a couple of years ago. I wonder if the "Smurf Turf" as some call it, distracted the opposing teams and threw their concentration off just a bit. Here's an interesting fact: The NCAA told BSU that they had to get rid of the blue turf and go green. However, the Idaho Legislature past a law that the blue turf has to stay. Sorry NCAA, Lex Rex (Law is king)!

To me, Boisie St. is still that Cinderella team that upsets the big boys. That's one reason I like watching them. I want to see them in a BCS bowl again beating the likes of Ohio St. or Florida. When they defeated Oklahoma in that classic 43-42 overtime win in the Tostitoes Fiesta Bowl a couple of years ago, followed by Broncos RB Ian Johnson proposing to his cheerleader fiance on national television, it capped off a perfect 13-0 season. I wanted them to play undefeated Ohio St. for a chance to really win it all, but the good old boys at the BCS and the university presidents wouldn't let it happen. I actually think they would have given the Buckeyes a run for their money. Stay true blue, BSU! I love that blue turf.

No comments:

Post a Comment